1. Registration for George E. Peters SDA Elementary School Students: Monday-Friday, first week of school, 8:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
2. Registration for Adelphi Students:
The last week of August, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 5:00-8:00 p.m. Students can also register at anytime throughout the year when the school is open. Prospective students can call 301-445-9669 for an appointment.
3. Be On Time. All students are to be punctual.
4. TWO for the price of ONE. Children 10 and under must attend lessons with a parent or an adult who will supervise the daily practice session. The supervisor is expected to assist the student at home.
5. Daily Practice Sessions at a specific time and in a quiet practice area are required for each student. 30+ min for beginners, 45+ min for intermediates, and 1 hour or more for advanced students and all voice students. TV, radio, video games are not to be played in the same room while someone is practicing.
The very young child whose attention span is short should be scheduled to practice two 15-minute sessions or three 10-minute sessions, instead of the total 30 minutes all at once. In all cases, make sure that the creature comforts (food, water, bathroom, rest) are met before practice sessions.
6. Instrument Care. Keep them in a secure, dry area, where the temperature and humidity is constant.
Voice students, your voice is your instrument. Proper regular meals, 6-8 glasses of water, 6-8 hours of daily rest are needed. Keep head and neck covered in cold, wet weather.
7. Master Classes by the Director. Once per month (date and time TBA), the director will hold one hour master classes for certain students. These classes are not extra, but will be in place of one private lesson, and are required. They will focus on performance practices of the literature, some ear training, and history.
8. Music Books Materials. The OMS uses Alfred's Basic Library as its primary source of music instruction. This is a music course for beginners of all ages, and for all instruments and voice. Besides the regular method and technic books, the Ottley Music Store carries books in Sight Reading, Technical Skills and Performance Practice (2 companion books to) Masterwork Classics, Classic Themes, Repertoire and other literature books Bach, Beethoven, Grieg, Mozart, Schumann, Faccio (one of our teachers), Joplin and many others. Also included are
and a large selection of sheet music and sacred music for solo, duet, and ensemble playing.