Black Musical Heritage
What do you hear in your mind when a person says
- Spiritual, or holler
- Rhythm n Blues
- Rock n Roll
Yes, those are definitely the musical styles of
Black people. What if you hear the words
- Art Song
- Opera or Operetta
- Oratorio or Cantata
- A Musical
- Chamber music
Would the general reaction be "Sure, those are
the forms that Europeans wrote, but not Africans." We are here to let you know that
there is music by composers and performing artists of African heritage from around the
world far back into antiquity written in most of those forms.
A Unique Presentation
Classics of Ebony Music Enterprises presents a
unique presentation, custom tailored to your specific audience, on the work of people of
African heritage worldwide in the field of music, especially that commonly referred to as
"classical" music. Lectures, demonstrations, concerts, or mini/recitals include:
- Lectures with overhead projections of the likeness of each composer
- Musical excerpts of live performance videos, many with Ottley
- Collection of portraits, paintings, photos, sketches of famous or
unknown musicians from the 1500s to the present day, spanning 4 centuries.
- Historical recordings of performing artists of "classical"
music on visual and audio display.
- Artifactscostumes, equipment, books and music of Black peoples.
About Nevilla E. Ottley,
Ms Ottley is a multifaceted
educator, historian and musician.
- An AUTHOR
since 1994, writing on the
accomplishments of Black composers and performers, as well as Biblical novel of strong
women such as Miriam and Zipporah, Queen Vashti, Abigail, Ruth, and others.
- A RESEARCHER
since 1975 on the history
of Black peoples before, during and after slavery in the United States of America and
around the world.
- A CONDUCTOR
of chorus and orchestra
since 1971. Besides church choirs and singing groups since the age of 17, she has
conducted the Nevilla Ottley Singers in the US and abroad since 1981, the Chorus and
Orchestra of the World Bank and I.M.F. from 1983-1988, founded and conducted the Takoma
Park Symphony Orchestra from 1988-1995, guest conducted the Paul Hill Chorale, the
Arlington Metropolitan Chorus, the Schiller Institute Chorus, and the Kennedy
Centers 1994 Messiah Sing Along. Her repertoire consists of cantatas, oratorios,
operas, symphonic works, and spirituals.
- An EDUCATOR
with over 35 years of music
teaching experience from elementary to college levels. She founded the Ottley Music Studio
in 1973, which grew to the Ottley Music School in 1999 in Maryland, USA, with instruction
in most of the musical instruments including the Steel Pan, with all qualified, degreed
teachers. Visit the Ottley Music School site. The School is the Adelphi, MD Center for the
American College of Musicians, National Guild of Piano Teachers. Her education includes:
- M.Mus (conducting), 1980, The Catholic University of America,
- M.A. (music history & organ performance) 1972, Andrews
- B.Mus. (music education, piano) 1971, Andrews University, Berrien
- A.A. (liberal arts, Spanish) 1966, Caribbean Union College,
- Certificates in Piano, Associated Board of the Royal School of Music
- Certificates in Conducting, American Symphony Orchestra League,
Chorus America, Herbert Blomstedt Symphonic Conducting and Orchestral Performance